Conversation starters: Are your Facebook posts earning the success you deserve? Or are there crickets?
Starting conversations on social media can be difficult, particularly when your audience has a broad range of interests. Enrich your Facebook conversations and get people talking about your Page.
You have the best chance of knowing what your customers are looking for in a product or service when you understand them, and the best way to understand people is to have a conversation.
Use conversation starters as standalone text status, after a shared link, or with a creative image. Check your Facebook Insights for the past three months. What type of status is receiving the most traffic? Understanding what your audience likes will help you decide how to use a conversation starter!
Below is an example of an image I created that asked fans this conversation starter: “What color helps get your creative juices flowing?” This post was the top performer for the week. Notice the hashtags used in the post. (More about using hashtags below.)
Don’t forget to include hashtags (if appropriate) in your conversation starter. Try using Facebook’s search function box to check what hashtags are popular and trending. Use the results as a guide for your own conversation starter. To help you get started with hashtag searches, some of the most used hashtag conversation starters are linked back to a Facebook search.
Below are some conversation starters that received the highest engagement on my Facebook Page and the Pages I manage.
- What’s your biggest #timemanagement struggle?
- What’s your #1 goal for next year?
- What one word describes your niche?
- How many hours do you spend on Facebook?
- What do you think? (Feedback for a blog share, link share)
- Do you have a blog? Share the link below.
- What blogs have you been reading lately?
- What do you want to make happen in the next month?
- What works for one business may not be right for another! What’s your vision?
- What’s your favorite way to reach out to someone after a networking event is over?
- What is your biggest challenge to getting things done?
Tech & Social Media
- What’s your favorite App?
- What’s the website you can’t stop visiting?
- Is your business on Facebook? Share your link below.
- Are you on Twitter? What’s your user name?
- Are you on Instagram? Share your link and come over and join me!
- What’s your favorite #fail on __________ (social media platform)?
- What’s your favorite status to share on Facebook?
- What’s your favorite business book on your bookshelf?
- Who do you love to follow on Facebook?
- What’s the #1 thing you want to see on this page?
- What book are you reading right now that you’d recommend?
- If you could pick any business travel destination, where would it be?
Happiness and Wellbeing
- What’s more important — following your passion? Or following the money?
- Close your eyes and get carried away. Where would you go?
- How important is luck to success?
- What’s your favorite topic to share __________.
- What’s your favorite Friday after work activity?
- Saturdays are made for Adventure. Where will your adventure take you today?
- What’s your favorite break activity?
- What are your plans for the #weekend?
- What’s your dream vacation?
- My favorite thing about my hometown is __________.
- The thing I love most about this time of year is ___________.
- What color helps you get your creative juices flowing?
- Where to you go to find a calm space of down time?
- What has your pet taught you about life?
- Staying in or going out to party? Share your favorite New Year’s Memory! (New Year’s Eve)
- Music is a HUGE part of the #holidays! What’s on your playlist?
- What’s your favorite dish to eat on Thanksgiving?
- What’s YOUR favorite Day to shop? A. #BlackFriday B. #SmallBizSaturday C. #CyberMonday D. All Of The Above Other
- Tonight is the night of witches, ghosts, and goblins! What was your favorite Halloween costume when you were young?
- What is your favorite #4thofjuly tradition? (or Memorial Day)
- Memorial Day is the unofficial start to summer. What’s your favorite summer activity?
- What is the best lesson you learned from your Dad? (Father’s Day)
- What’s the best advice your mother gave you? (Mother’s Day)
- Chocolate or Roses? (Valentine’s Day)
Conversation Matters. Conversation starters help you learn more about your fans, their interests and what matters to them. Most important, conversations build trust and loyalty.
Get curious about your fans, their business concerns, their dreams, their perspectives about life. Understanding where they’re coming will strengthen your relationships and create meaningful conversations.
Have other ideas for conversation starters on Facebook? Share your favorite in the comments!